Join us at the Stillwater Public Library for From the Monkey Mountains: Listening Parties with The Bakken Trio and Z Puppets Rosenschnoz. For those who have always loved classical music and those who want to make a deeper connection: Experience classical music through new ears and eyes with the highly acclaimed performers from The Bakken Trio and Z Puppets Rosenschnoz. Designed for ages 12-adult and youth ages 8-11 accompanied by their adults.
Each event in this series will present one of the four movements of From the Monkey Mountains by 20th century Czech composer Pavel Haas.
- Saturday, March 30 at 2 pm- Movement 1: Landscape
- Thursday, April 4 at 6:30 pm- Movement 2: Coachman & Horse
- Thursday, April 11 at 6:30 pm - Movement 3: Moon & I
- Thursday, April 18 at 6:30 pm - Movement 4: Wild Night
In each hour long event, audiences will:
- Learn about Haas through Z Puppets’ toy theater presentation of his life, from his early inspiration to his tragic death in the Holocaust
- Get tips from The Bakken Trio on key details to listen for in the music
- Hear The Bakken Trio's live performance of a movement of From the Monkey Mountains
- Explore what you hear through Z Puppets’ guided drawing activity
- Share discoveries in a group discussion
Each event will stand alone as a complete experience - or try them all! Classical music lovers and "not-so-much"-ers welcome.
Program is free, but registration is required for each person attending. This activity is funded, in part, by the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the State’s general fund. To register, call 651-275-4338, stop by the Public Services Desk, or visit our website at stillwaterlibrary.org.